[techtalk] Web-based e-mail for Linux?

James A. Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 28 21:37:32 EST 2001

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, jennyw wrote:

> I'm finally going to put together a mail server.  I'm used to using
> IMAP4/POP3 and Web-based e-mail from my current provider, so I would like to
> build a mail server that has the same functionality. Does anyone have
> suggestions on what software packages I could use to accomplish this, and
> links to where I can read more about them?  Mostly I just want to know what
> software is available for these purposes -- I don't need a how-to just yet.

Hiya Jen!

There are two different servers you want here:

"incoming" mail (SMTP)
"outgoing" mail (IMAP/POP)

For the incoming stuff, your main options are sendmail, Exim and Qmail.
For outgoing, Qmail and the University of Washington servers would work,
as would Courier.

Qmail would be a nice option for both; Exim (written here!) is quite good
too.

www.sendmail.org
www.exim.org
www.qmail.org