[Techtalk] mpg123 error

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Dec 4 09:18:47 EST 2001

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:50:11PM -0500 or thereabouts, Raven Brooke wrote:
> Yes, all sound works other than mpg123, including kde media player. I have
> tried mpg321 with the same result. I have also reinstalled mpg123 from the
> .rpm.
>
> I did find that while libao.so was installed, it was not in my path, so I
> made a symlink to it. I then killed all instances of artsd (esd was not

I don't think you normally need libraries in your path, do you?

> running) and tried again: this time I got the first note or so of an mp3
> repeated until I ctr-c'd it. It seems like it's really *trying* to work,
> I'm just missing something that is interfering.

I have had that kind of behaviour, which I have generally ascribed to
bad mp3s. But I presume these are the same mp3s which KDE will play?
Once or twice I've come across the occasional mp3 which xmms will
play but mp123 won't. So is this for lots, or just one or two?

> I prefer commandline options whenever possible, so I would rather not rely
> on kde to play music. Also simplifies scheduling cron jobs involving music
> : )

Yeah, know that feeling.

Telsa