[techtalk]Re: [techtalk] DHCP client with multiple NICs

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 1 15:17:23 EST 2001

Subba-
> I have installed Slackware 8 on a system with 2 NICs. In "netconfig" I
> have selected the "dhcp" option. When the system comes up, it only
> finds the eth0. The system does not get an IP address for eth1.

I don't know much about Slackware, but I'm wondering...is the system even
finding eth1?  Does it load the driver for it?  If so, what do you see in
the logs regarding DHCP?

I found this after quick search on google for 'slackware network interface
dhcp setting':

Well the network scripts that initialize the interfaces and servers
are /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2.

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 is responsible for setting up any interfaces and
will by default initialize lo and eth0 (either static or dhcp)."
Sounds like you have to setup rc.inet1 to recognize your other interfaces?

Also got this from the DHCP mini howto at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/DHCP:

3.11. Alternative DHCP client (ISC dhclient)
If you have not had success getting your Linux connection running with the
dhcpcd you might want to try ISC dhclient. dhclient comes with the DHCP
distribution from ISC which includes both a DHCP client and a DHCP server.
Instructions on how to get and compile the DHCP distribution can be found
here. When you are done with it please return to this section to configure
the client.

Note: Following information has been provided by Ted Lemon <mellon at isc.org>
one of the authors of dhclient.

With the current version of the DHCP client, you don't actually need a
dhclient.conf. All you have to do is invoke dhclient e.g.: /sbin/dhclient.

This will configure all broadcast interfaces. If this doesn't work or you
want to specify only one interface create a /etc/dhclient.conf file with
this example configuration.

interface "eth0" {
  send dhcp-client-identifier 1:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
  send dhcp-lease-time 86400;
}

Here we assume that the ethernet interface is eth0. If not change
accordingly. Also replace xx:xx:xx:xx:xx with your ethernet address. This
dhclient.conf makes the client look more like a Win95 client."

The rest of that howto looks pretty good as well.  I think you could also
call pump manually with the interface as an argument, i.e. something like:

   /sbin/pump -R -i eth1  to release or
   /sbin/pump -s -i eth1  to get status of the interface

Check out 'man pump' for more info on that one.

Good luck, and sorry for all the cut-n-pasting.

-Brian

This email was sent using SquirrelMail.
   "Webmail for nuts!"
http://squirrelmail.org/