[techtalk] Kernel lockup

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Wed Aug 1 18:06:45 EST 2001

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 09:35:38AM +0100, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:40:06PM -0400 or thereabouts, David Merrill wrote:
> > Hi, I have a bit of a problem it seems. I installed the 2.4.7 kernel
> > today, went out for a bit, and came home to a wedged machine.
> >
> > It's a new machine -- about two weeks old. I was just starting to
> > enjoy my new, nicely tuned Debian, but alas, it was not to last.
> > The system looked fine when I first came home. I liked the groove xmms
> > was putting out, so I went to rewind the song. I held down the left
> > key, and bang! Tunes stop. All stop. ]-:
>
> Idle question: the whole machine hung, or X hung?

The whole box. Wouldn't respond to ssh from another box, or even a
ping.

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

Free Dmitri Sklyarov!  http://www.freesklyarov.org
Washington DC Protests http://www.lupercalia.net/dmca

When did the copyright holders become the Corporations?
Who owns the Intellectual Property?
Who controls our Arts and Sciences?
They are slowly eroding our rights. The authors, scientists, researchers,
students and you are very much at risk.
	-- Anonymous