[techtalk] Kernel lockup

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Aug 1 13:56:36 EST 2001

Telsa Gwynne writes:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:40:06PM -0400 or thereabouts, David Merrill wrote:
> > Hi, I have a bit of a problem it seems. I installed the 2.4.7 kernel
> > today, went out for a bit, and came home to a wedged machine.

Interesting: I just had a similar experience with the 2.4.7 kernel
I built for my laptop yesterday. It worked fine for the first few
boots.  But after a while, upon starting X, at the end of the
kde2 initialization the machine froze and I had to pull the battery
out to reset it (then reboot and fsck-repair all the disk damage).
This has been repeatable and I have no idea what's wrong.
Vaio SR17k, Redhat 7.1.  Redhat's shipped kernel (2.4.2-2)
works fine, as does a 2.4.2 I downloaded and built with the same
.config as I used for the 2.4.7 kernel (couldn't build from Redhat's
2.4.2 source tree, syntax error in module.h).

> Idle question: the whole machine hung, or X hung?
>
> The list has had "how to narrow down X hangs" threads before. The
> easiest route requires a second computer and a network connection
> from it to the first, which is not something everyone has.

Is there an archive of that thread?  I have a network card and
another machine.

I haven't actually tried telnetting in from another machine.
I've tried ctrl-alt-Fn to get to other screens, and c-a-backspace
and c-a-delete, and got no response.

I'm not knowingly running xmms, but who knows what-all kde2 is
running for me behind the scenes (I had to turn off sound because
it does something funny to my sound card when it starts up and I
get a loud buzzing that won't go away until I power off).
Hmm, maybe I should try gnome and see if the kernel works there.

> xmms has a bugzilla system at http://bugs.xmms.org which has some
> vaguely similar reports to yours though. With nice "show all open
> reports" and so on buttons. Bugs 243 and 256 look vaguely similar

Those aren't what I'm seeing, since the keyboard still works in
both reports.

--
	...Akkana       http://www.shallowsky.com