[techtalk] Kernel lockup

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Aug 1 09:36:00 EST 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:40:06PM -0400 or thereabouts, David Merrill wrote:
> Hi, I have a bit of a problem it seems. I installed the 2.4.7 kernel
> today, went out for a bit, and came home to a wedged machine.
>
> It's a new machine -- about two weeks old. I was just starting to
> enjoy my new, nicely tuned Debian, but alas, it was not to last.
> The system looked fine when I first came home. I liked the groove xmms
> was putting out, so I went to rewind the song. I held down the left
> key, and bang! Tunes stop. All stop. ]-:

Idle question: the whole machine hung, or X hung?

The list has had "how to narrow down X hangs" threads before. The
easiest route requires a second computer and a network connection
from it to the first, which is not something everyone has.

I'm not a huge fan of xmms because I find the UI confusing, so I
can't offer much help. I do know that Gnome bugzilla got a bunch
of "xmms vanished and took the deskguide with it" reports at one
stage, but this is not really in the same league.

xmms has a bugzilla system at http://bugs.xmms.org which has some
vaguely similar reports to yours though. With nice "show all open
reports" and so on buttons. Bugs 243 and 256 look vaguely similar
(one is "hung KDE/X"; one is a hang on the same distro and kernel
as you).

(Wow, that all came out right-justified. Sort of. Weird.)

Telsa