[techtalk] light laptops for linux?

Molly Tomlinson molly at devclue.com
Thu Apr 26 16:32:37 EST 2001

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 10:51:03AM -0700, jennyw wrote:
> I read (I think in Linux Journal or something like that) that Tuxtops was
> getting out of the laptops business?  Their Web page even says that they've
> given that segment of their business to someone else.

Yup - I called and talked with them at length. QLITech (www.qlitech.net).
They were knowledgeable and helpful, have good support, and they were
already in the business of making Linux desktops. One thing that impressed
me was when I asked a couple of questions, the guy answered me and then
said, "Yeah, you know, that's a good question. I'll have our web people add
that to our spec sheet." And they did. That day. It's just a little touch,
but it made me happy. I do really like smaller businesses, and try to work
with them whenever it makes sense to do so.

> Generally when it comes to laptops, I like to stick with brands that are
> mass produced.  I figure that it'll be easy to get things like memory and
> other parts for them.  Then again, Telsa said it's hard to get batteries for
> the VAIOs ...

I worried about that, too. But their machines are made by the same folks
that make Dell's machines (i.e. QLI just stamps their brand on 'em instead
of Dell's) so they should be that reliable. The same deal that the Emperor
Linux (http://www.emperorlinux.com) folks have. I settled on a King from QLI
because it had exactly the right combination of lightness/portability and
features. I did buy a spare battery while purchasing it, though, and max out
the memory because of what Telsa said. :) I'll report how it works out...
Now I just want it to arrive so I can play!

--Molly