[techtalk] Backup strategy

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 25 10:46:58 EST 2001

Jen-

We're currently using Amanda here and I've been pretty happy with that so
far.  It lacks in a few features, but it really nicely manages the backup
scheme for you (dynamically creating the levels based on need), and it's
recovery procedures are also quite straightforward.  It also uses a holding
disk, allowing for multiple simultaneous dumps.

You can check it out at www.amanda.org.

Also, for a general intro to bacukps, I highly recommend the O'Reilly book
"Unix Backup & Recovery".  It's got information on a myriad of backup
utilities, and good introductory strategies.

Good Luck!

-Brian