[techtalk] pine and virtual domains

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Apr 23 15:01:12 EST 2001

Makiko Itoh writes:
> I wonder if anyone else has faced this argument about not wanting to
> download mail because of a fear of email viruses?   It seems a bit
> overparanoid to me....

Yes, it seems a bit paranoid (since you don't get viruses from
downloading the mail, you get them from reading messages with a
mail reader set to do things automatically in response to messages).

I read mail with mutt (another command-line reader like Pine).
At work, reading mail on the server is not an option.
But we do have the option of asking for our mail to be forwarded
somewhere rather than using POP or IMAP to get it from the server.
So I forward to my linux box, and use a command-line reader locally.
If I couldn't forward, I'd use a linux POP client (there are
several) to download mail from the server to my /var/spool.

If your user is on Windows and can't find any local mail reading
programs that he trusts, then if he's that paranoid about email
viruses, you might suggest to him that Linux is MUCH safer in
that respect, and installing Linux might be the best security
update he ever made. :-)

--
	...Akkana       http://www.shallowsky.com