[techtalk] pine and virtual domains

JamesA.Sutherland JamesA.Sutherland
Mon Apr 23 07:24:45 EST 2001

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 16:41:13 -0400, you wrote:

>>Just set the "user-domain" value in the configuration, provided the
>>username is correct. If the username is different as well, it's a bit
>>more difficult, but you don't suggest that's the case?
>>

>James, that did the trick! I hadn't even thought of changing the pine
>config. Thanks so much! The only problem is that it looks like the
>Inbox got erased/reset when I changed the user-domain. Did it indeed
>get erased? If so...well I don't really care that much really....it's
>just this one user who has the moral objection....(g)

No, it certainly shouldn't have - although I have Pine set up to flush
read mail from the inbox to read-messages; is that what happened here?

>I wonder if anyone else has faced this argument about not wanting to
>download mail because of a fear of email viruses?   It seems a bit
>overparanoid to me....

Reading through a local copy of Pine is as safe as SSHing elsewhere,
really. The problem is when you use a dumb client like Outlook, which
goes "Hm, executable attachment - let's run it and see what it does!"

James.