[techtalk] Registering DNS servers

Kath ranger at optonline.net
Mon Apr 9 22:02:10 EST 2001

I had this SAME issue, so lemme help you out.  NSI is rather confusing on
it.

1.  Goto www.networksolutions.com

2.  Click Make Changes

3.  Click goto Login Screen

4.  Login to the account holder page (Using account number and your
password)

5.  Click your domain name say "foobar.org" from the dropdown menu.

6.  Now for this, YOU need to be the domain name admin according to NSI. If
you are not the domain name admin according to NSI records, this will not
work.  If you aren't, transfer control to yourself by clicking on
"View/Change domain administrator" on the next page.

7.  Now assuming you are the domain name holder, click "Change hosting (DNS)
information".

8.  Now it should ask you to specify a primary and secondary DNS server.
Put in say ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com.  On the next page you
will be asked a few questions, like the IP address of those two DNS servers.
It might also ask you the handle of the owner: put in your own handle
assigned by NSI (I think).

Now hit submit a few more times and you should be done.

Now, of course you are probably typing in "ping ns1.yourdomain.com" right
now!  But it won't work, since it will take 24-72 hours for the DNS changes
to propgate through the name servers (How archaic!).  In this time, just
pace nervously ;)  I might also suggest picking up O'Reilly's DNS and Bind
book.  It really helped me as did this list help me.

Anyway, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

- Kath the DNS Deiti! ;P