[techtalk] installing new hd

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Mon Sep 4 11:55:48 EST 2000

On  2 Sep, Allen Heinecke wrote:
> Ok... B) is the method that I was looking at using... but it just seems
> extremely involved and quite bulky... I mean... look at all the extra crap
> that you're leaving on the original drive...
>
> Is there some sort of disk_imaging tool out there that I could use for the
> purpose of "cloning" the first drive over to the second, with lilo
> information included? or do the differences in the size of the drive make
> this an impossibility? or are there no utilities of this sort (I find that
> hard to believe)
>
> -Lone

dd is what you might call a disk imaging tool - it will copy bytes, and
not stuff like inodes etc.

dd -if /dev/hda1 -of /dev/hda2

will just copy /dev/hda1 *exactly* to /dev/hda2. You might want to look
at the manual page for stuff like blocksize etc.

It's useful for completely dleting something (dd -if /dev/zero -of
delete_me), or for backing up your master boot record, too.

Britta
--
  /"\  . . . . . . . . . . . . . britta at linuxchix.org . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign     "Wer mit der Speckseite nach der Wurst wirft,