[techtalk] installing new hd

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sun Sep 3 10:40:11 EST 2000

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 08:39:45PM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Allen Heinecke thought:
> Ok... B) is the method that I was looking at using... but it just seems
> extremely involved and quite bulky... I mean... look at all the extra crap
> that you're leaving on the original drive...

Sorry, What extra crap?  Are you talking about the contents of /usr that
remain on the old drive while you check out that everything transferred
properly?  But, you delete that later.
[snip]

> On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 06:22:54PM -0700, Allen Heinecke wrote:
> > Alternatively, go with plan B (below)...
> >
> > (B) You want to add in the second HD to the system, but will keep the
> > first on installed as well (much easier!).
> >
> > 	Partition the new HD as you like and make each partition a "major"
> > 	part of the directory structure, like /usr/local or /tmp or /usr or
> > 	whatever. For the time being, mount these new partitions under
> > 	appropriate directories under /mnt (e.g. /mnt/usr/local) using the
> > 	mount commands I gave above.
> >
> > 	Copy everything from the current /usr directory over to what will be
> > 	the new /usr directory (just an example). So in this example, you do
> > 	something like
> >
> > 		cp -r /usr/ /mnt/usr

This should read

		cp -dpR /usr /mnt/usr

To preserve permissions etc.

> > 	Do this for all the directories you want to move across.
> >
> > 	**NOTE: You should leave your kernel image (probably in /boot, so
> > 	leave all of /boot), /etc, /bin and /sbin on the first harddrive,
> > 	otherwise you will have trouble booting!
> >
> > 	Now alter /etc/fstab to mount the new partitions under their new
> > 	directory names. So, for example, if the partition mounted as
> > 	/mnt/usr in the above case is /dev/hdd3, you would add a line to
> > 	/etc/fstab like
> >
> > 		/dev/hdd3	/usr	ext2	defaults	1 2
> >
> > 	You can now reboot and verify that the new partition was mounted
> > 	under the right spot.

> > 	To reclaim your disk space, remove the above line from fstab,
> > 	reboot again (this puts the old /usr directory back) and then
> > 	remove all the contents of /usr (which frees up space on the
> > 	first HD). Finally, add the fstab line back and reboot again.
> > 	What could be easier?

Domestic Sysadmin :-)