[techtalk] Download throttling?

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sun Sep 3 06:01:47 EST 2000

Mary Gardiner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a good utility I can use for this situation:
> I live in a networked house, my flatmates and I having a computer each,
> and in addition we have a 486/66 with Slack 4.0 which is solely there to
> act as a gateway to our modem, since we all dual- or triple- boot. We want
> a utility that we can install on the gateway that will allow us to
> 'fair-share' downloads - ie if anyone is downloading something big, their
> download speed is slowed down as soon as someone else tries to send stuff.

Dancer and I have a similar situation (with a 28.8K modem!).

The fairest we've found is to tweak the MTU.

Dancer says what you really want is to implement differentiated
services - and that while this is part of the Linux OS, there's
damn few people who can *configure* it.

Apparently in Linux 2.2 or later, 'quality of service and fair
scheduling', under network options. All the facilities are
implemented by that. The IProute package is used to configure it.
And, to quote him, 'Good luck figuring out how'.

He says it's only partially effective on the downstream side of the
link. To be properly effective it needs to be configured on the
upstream side as well - but I imagine that 'partially' is better
than 'not at all'.

We use tweaking the MTU. But we're rarely both doing large downloads
simultaneously, so keeping the packet size small works for us.

Dancer says he heartily recommends the 'D4x' package which is a transfer
manager for the graphic environment, but has built in rate limiting at
any levels you like. IE: if you all use somehting like this to transfer
the
files, you can restrict your own downloads. :/

Good luck. Sorry to be less than helpful - if anyone has a better
solution, PLEASE speak up! We'll use it too!

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman
http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/