[techtalk] Download throttling?

Mary Gardiner mary at creative.net.au
Sun Sep 3 13:23:13 EST 2000

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good utility I can use for this situation:
I live in a networked house, my flatmates and I having a computer each,
and in addition we have a 486/66 with Slack 4.0 which is solely there to
act as a gateway to our modem, since we all dual- or triple- boot. We want
a utility that we can install on the gateway that will allow us to
'fair-share' downloads - ie if anyone is downloading something big, their
download speed is slowed down as soon as someone else tries to send stuff.

The reason it should be on the gateway is because otherwise we need it to
run on FreeBSD, Windows and Linux :)

Does anyone know of a utility that would vaguely approximate this kind of
functionality?

Mary.