[techtalk] Download throttling?

Mary Gardiner mary at creative.net.au
Sun Sep 3 18:59:27 EST 2000

On Sun, Sep 03, 2000 at 05:01:47AM +0000, jenn at simegen.com wrote:
> Dancer and I have a similar situation (with a 28.8K modem!).

Well we have a 56K. I actually consider this fairly good since my previous
experience with modems and the net was in regional Austrlia sharing a 28.8
with the rest of the school... :)

> Apparently in Linux 2.2 or later, 'quality of service and fair
> scheduling', under network options. All the facilities are
> implemented by that. The IProute package is used to configure it.
> And, to quote him, 'Good luck figuring out how'.

Oops. My flatmates regarded this as a challenge...

> Dancer says he heartily recommends the 'D4x' package which is a transfer
> manager for the graphic environment, but has built in rate limiting at
> any levels you like. IE: if you all use somehting like this to transfer
> the
> files, you can restrict your own downloads. :/

That's OK, except in the situation where I'm doing some Very Important
Surfing and soeone else is running something commandliney like 'apt-get
update'.

> Good luck. Sorry to be less than helpful - if anyone has a better
> solution, PLEASE speak up! We'll use it too!

Thanks,

Mary.