[techtalk] Linux/Apache/Webmin question

Christian MacAuley csm at jellspace.net
Tue Oct 3 00:27:27 EST 2000

> stop and restart Apache through the Webmin interface. It stopped, but
> failed on the restart. He went into the command line and issued the
> apachectl start command, which did start it up.  He then looked at the
> process stack and noticed that the httpd processes were dated Sep30, and
> not Oct 2. We were focusing on this dilemma (it appeared that httpd

Typing "apachectl start" won't restart the server.  That command won't do
anything unless you already stopped httpd.  To actually restart in one
command you have to either type: "apachectl restart" or "apachectl
graceful". The graceful command is reccomended, as this is less apt to cut
web users off in the middle of a request or transfer.

Good luck :)

~Christian