[techtalk] SMP on linux

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Tue Oct 3 22:54:23 EST 2000

Hi,

	I've been running a Linux SMP box for quite a while now.
Intermittently I've seen the beast lock up hard.  So hard only a full
reset gets it out.  The power cycle button doesn't even work.  Sometimes
it will go 3 or 4 months without this happening.  Sometimes 3 or 4
weeks.  Once I saw it happen in 1 day.  So what is it I'm running.
Redhat 6.2, the 2.2.14-5.0smp kernel, X, apache, sendmail, gnome.  I've
had all kinds of wierd theories like that something stupid like a
screensaver wasn't SMP compatible or some such.  The machine doesn't get
any heavy traffic.  Just personal use and a few friends grabbing stuff
occassionally.  Oh, the box is running twin 466 mhz Celerons and scsi
and IDE drives

	So does anyone know what might be the gremlin?  Are there known bugs on
SMP until 2.4 is out?  When this thing locks there is no trail.  No
cores, no log entries, nothing.

thanks for any ideas.

- samantha