[techtalk] Linux/Apache/Webmin question

Erin Clarke blue at web.net
Mon Oct 2 23:56:21 EST 2000

Check the path info in the apachectl script (path to httpd
and path to pid file). Could you possibly have two different
versions of apache installed on this machine? Are you running
your site off one httpd.conf or are you using several (as in
one conf file per site)? I'm assuming you're running from only
one httpd.conf...

You can always restart apache manually by sending a SIGHUP
to the main httpd process (which you can either find by
ps or by cat /var/run/httpd.pid <- or whatever the path to
the pid file is):

# kill -1 27905 (<- whatever the httpd PID is)
or
# kill -HUP `cat /var/run/httpd.pid`

Check the server error logs for clues, too. If you're not
sure where those are, the TransferLog directive in httpd.conf
should contain the correct path. Are the log entries similarly
'backdated'? Any related-looking error messages?

I've never used any apache server admin web interface, so I
am probably not much help there. I've also never run into a
time problem like the one you are describing, but I have run
into apachectl/multiple-versions-of-apache problems that had
some symptoms similar to what you're describing...

I'd be looking at the server admin web interface code, too,
and any logs it may generate... dunno if I'm much help but
sometimes more questions lead to ideas on where else to look
for answers.

Erin  8)