[techtalk] can't add default route.

arindamc at linuxfreemail.com arindamc at linuxfreemail.com
Tue Nov 21 23:39:44 EST 2000

At Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:10:10 -0600 (CST) , Kristin Ziel <zoop at sound.scc.net> wrote:

>I can get this to you tomorrow...my computer is at home and i have no net
>contact there..<sigh>
>
>thanks!
>
>> hi kristin
>>
>> send me the output of "route -n" and "ifconfig eth0".
>> i think i can give u the solution.
>>
>> arindam c.
>>
>> Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
>> Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!

hi kristin
 u can try this:>

first delete any  default entry in ur routing table by
 route del default.
if it gives error message like "no such process" itis ok dont worry.

actually the network unreacable message is because the net id of ur
gateway  differs from the net id of eth0

suppose ur gateway IP is 194.200.10.XXX then eth0 should be
something like 194.200.10.YYY.
U cant access the network 194.200.10 from eth0. Check the IP of your
gateway(router or proxy?).

The required routing entry will be

   route add default gw 194.200.10.XXX eth0. Dont specify any netmask.
If the net id of eth0 is different then try other interfaces if u
have. Otherwise change the IP of eth0 using ifconfig.

route -n will show:>

destination     gateway        genmask   Flags metric  Iface
 0.0.0.0      194.200.10.XXX   0.0.0.0     UG    0      eth0