[techtalk] Redhat 6.2 question

Amy amy at bpsinet.com
Tue May 23 18:06:26 EST 2000

I just installed RH 6.2 on my machine. I had RH 6.1 on it before.
Trying to get 'experience', I just wiped our 6.1 and did a scratch
install of 6.2, since this is my 'learnin' box. not my main machine.
My problem is this: I edited the inetd.conf file on my RH 6.1
machine to comment out certain services for safety reason (ie, unused,
open ports). I am a relative newbie, and I knew to do that because
the system admin scanned for open ports and told me how to close them.
I have been reading up security issues, but what I installed doesn't
even have the /etc/inetd.conf file. If I am reading  this correctly,
the 'workstation' installation of RH 6.2 doesn't come the inetd.conf.
I don't recall ever having a choice when I installed the OS. And what
does that mean to me as far as security? Are there any gurus out
there that can point me in the right direction. I have read the RH
guides until I am blue in the face. I need to learn RH specifically
because that is what we use at work. The machine needs to be secure
because I frequently log into work computers to work form home,
sometimes having to switch to root on various machines to do
certain tasks. Any helpful hints, or suggestions?

Amy | amy at bpsinet.com