[techtalk] heads-up: M$ (e-mail) virus making rounds.

Amy amy at bpsinet.com
Thu May 4 18:42:40 EST 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 22:36:24 +0100
> From: Michelle Konzack <starone at cybercable.fr>
> To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
> Subject: RE: [techtalk] heads-up:  M$ (e-mail) virus making rounds.
>
> Hello and good evening.
>
> Why do you do not disable this vb-script crap ???
>
> And if you can not disable, why do you use a mail system which is a
> security problem ??? There are many Shareware and Commercialware
> products which are Better as Outlook.

Boy it would be nice to be able to do that where I work. ISP, the average
user pretty clueless about this stuff. I managed to find a sendmail entry
that would reject the subject line for this particular strain as a quick
fix, but there were 155 instances of the virus in users' mailboxes
already, which I managed to get rid of. That doesn't take care of the ones
that had already downloaded their e-mail, but we do what we can. Me, I
happily checked the e-mail in a text editor on the Linux mail server to
make sure it was an infected file, perused the source code, and hit
delete.
 I never open Outlook Express to actually use, only for tech support, and
it's not set up to even check my e-mail.
There was a funny 'article' on Slashdot
that spoofed M$ changing the name from Outlook to Lookout! GOt a little
chuckle out of that, I did.

Amy
amy at bpsinet.com