[techtalk] argh! (gnumeric troubles)

Rik Hemsley rik at kde.org
Thu Mar 30 17:02:35 EST 2000

#if Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun
> I swear, this computer is tying to kill me.  I noticed that I had a near-
> antiquated version of gnumeric, so I downloaded version .38, and tried to
> install it... failed depndencies.  So I got the libraries it wanted,
> installed them, and upgraded gnumeric.  It didn't complain during the
> installation.  But now, whenever I go to run gnumeric, I get this message
> (but only if I run it from $) gnumeric: error in loading shared libraries:
> gnumeric: undefined symbol: gtk_object_get
>
> Not being C-inclined, I haven't the foggiest how to fix it.  I used the
> rpm's for the libraries and gnumeric (Yeah, I know, that might be the
> problem...)  ANy ideas on how to fix it?  I installed a recent version of
> gtk+ (latest stable as of last week) from source, and it took me half an
> hour to convince it to go where redhat wants its libraries.

Search your system for old versions of the gtk library.
find /usr/lib /usr/local/lib -name 'libgtk*'

Next, make sure the new version (that you just installed via rpm)
contains the symbol gtk_object_get
nm /path/to/libgtk-something.so.something | grep gtk_object_get

Now remove any old versions of libgtk that you found.

Rik