[techtalk] Checking e-mail on server

Rik Hemsley rik at kde.org
Mon Mar 27 19:10:39 EST 2000

#if Lori
> I would like to keep using KMail to store my mail and to check it whenever
> possible, but I want to learn to use a text-based client such as mutt or pine
> so that I can ssh into the server when I am away ( I commute to a university
> where the only access is a roaming profile on crappy windoze 95 boxes. )  So
> far so good, I can already do this, but can I get those messages into my own
> box later?

Ask your sysadmin to install a POP server or install one yourself. If you
install your own, it'll have to run in userspace, but that's not a problem.
There are POP clients designed to run as a 'normal' user. See freshmeat
for a selection.

> This may sound like a stupid thing to want to do, but
> is there any way to have it leave a copy of mail on the server (or I
> guess, the spool, since it already is being checked from the same machine)
> so I can download it later into KMail?

Yes, nearly every POP client (be it a standalone util like fetchmail or
a 'Mail User Agent' like pine, mutt etc) allows you to set an option
to leave your mail on the remote server.

> I'd really appreciate any opinions or advice on this, but hopefully w/out
> starting a text-based client holy war ;)

MUTT ! *duck* ;)

Rik