[techtalk] mutt- help! (was: Checking e-mail on server)

Lori lori at lanae.com
Wed Mar 29 07:29:23 EST 2000

Thank you Rik, your advice helped, sort of.  My server already has a POP server
running, so I assumed I didn't need to reinstall one.

My problem is mutt:  I found the POP support part in the manual, and read about
setting pop variables in the Muttrc file.  I figured that since you have to
compile in POP support in mutt that RedHat probably did not include that, so
I downloaded mutt1.0.1i, compiled it w/ --enable-pop and installed. Renamed the
old mutt and Muttrc files.  Edited the new Muttrc file w/ my server's IP as
pop_host.  Checked mail - it appears to leave a copy like I wanted, *if* I do
not delete the messages in mutt or move them to another folder when I exit it.
At first I thought "success!", but no - mutt still indicates
"/var/spool/mail/username" at the bottom of the screen, and upon further
testing (changing pop info. in Muttrc to another account) it appears mutt is
still not using POP.  I know about putting a .muttrc in my home dir, I just
wanted to try this w/ the existing Muttrc first.  I assume that leaving
undeleted messages on the server is a result of my having installed a newer
version.

Bottom line is, I think it's either ignoring the fact that I compiled in POP
support, or it's ignoring the POP settings in Muttrc.

Again, sorry if this is brain-dead obvious, but I'm kind of
stumped for what to try next.

TIA,
Lori