[techtalk] licq

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Thu Jun 15 09:58:27 EST 2000

> anyway, for the reason i'm finally piping up with a problem on this list is
> because i've run across a bit of difficulty in installing licq onto my
> machine.  So, i've gotten to the point where i've got the licq downloaded
> and installed... but... it won't work because i don't have any plugins for
> it.  Now, i've tried going to the licq.com to see if i can find the plugin i
> need to download but, surprisingly enough<--enter sarcasm w/ a grin... i
> have not a clue as to what i'm supposed to be looking for.  Would anyone out
> there be able to help me w/ this?

licq is a bastard to install. When I last installed it (from source) it
was a true horror and the licq.com website did not help me.

You are looking for a Qt plugin. Check out
ftp://ftp.licq.com/pub/licq/srcs/

Then look for licq_qt-gui-yourversion.tar.gz

The reason licq won't go without it is that it doesn't know what gui to
use to drive the program... it seems silly to me because the only one they
*have* that works well *is* the Qt one, but they insist. The first time
you run it be sure to run it from the command line and not from a menu or
icon or anything, as I'm sure you've discovered it will tell you important
stuff about your plugin, then it will ask for information on your icq
number and such. :o)

Try downloading and installing that. You might need some other nonsense
with Qt that you don't have installed, also, licq's page says
qt-devel-2.1.0
libstdc++-devel
XFree86-devel
if you're compiling from source.

Alternatively, if you're using an rpm-based system, you might try using
the rpms instead (hopefully they have improved since I tried to install
from rpm). Get them from the licq source and not redhat though (unless
they have been fixed, the ones from redhat do funky stuff).

Skins and plugins are another joy. :o)

> Also, when i run into downloading tar files... how do i... er... uncompress
> them?  I tried one thing and it didn't work as someone told me it should...

Try:

tar xvf file.tar
or
tar xzvf file.tar.gz

If you need more specific instructions, you might go check out that
website that sally posted.

hth,
-nicole