[techtalk] printer probs with 2.2.13 and lpd

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Jan 29 14:52:36 EST 2000

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Dakota Surmonde wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Nils Philippsen wrote:
>
> > What does `lsmod | grep parport` give?
>
> since I've got a monolithic kernel absolutely nothing :) but dmesg | grep
> parport gives
>
> parport0: PC-style at 0x3bc [SPP,PS2]
> parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
> lp0: using parport0 (polling).
>
> um..also, I set up pdq, and actually got one good print out of it (well,
                     ^^^
What's this? I guess it's some kind of automatic converter for the various
formats into postscript/ascii.

> it was stair stepping, but that I can cope with), but after that, it just
> feeds paper (well,it's a slight improvement, I guess, over no response at
> all) and now I can't print to the raw device anymore :( (it feeds paper,
> but no printing)

This may have to do with the stairs. Unless you fix this, the printer
assumes a steadily growing horizontal position. Some printers reset this
on a new page, yours obviously not. Try to fix the stair-stepping and you
should be set.

> and it works perfectly under windows (well, that's a first :) )

Doesn't surprise me, Windows sends (CR+LF) at the end of a line.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de