[techtalk] Mounted drive

Phil V Savoie Phil.Savoie at learnix.ca
Sat Jan 29 09:46:03 EST 2000

Hi Gustavo,

Perhaps what you may want to do is create an empty directory off of / and
mount your newly created device there.  Or, if you want create a directory
/usr2 then mv all of /usrs files into /usr2 then rm /usr then rename /usr2
back to /usr.  Sounds a bit confusing but if you are very careful it should
work.  Also, don't forget to create or change the appropriate entry in
/etc/fstab so that the change made to your filesystem is automatic at boot
up as well.

You can test the change in /etc/fstab using the mount -a command before
actually having to reboot.  This does two things;  it allows the new mount
to be mounted right away negating a need to reboot and also tests the
syntax in the file.  If all is cool it will work, if not you don't find out
during a bootup.

Hope this helps,

Phil