[techtalk] Pine and Reply-to

V Clarke vkc20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 14 13:13:31 EST 2000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Jenn V. wrote:

> So I suspect it's a function of the end-user's mail. Do this experiment
> with the various lists you're on - see what you get when you hit
> reply/replyall.

I'd love to, but this version of Pine doesn't _have_ replyall. It prompts
you when you hit reply; if you choose the replyall option, it replies to
the sender with a CC to the mailing list; if not you only get the sender.
It also prompts for reply-to headers, although you can set it to default
to using them.

Somewhere in the config file there's an option to 'use sender not
x-sender', which may affect that in some way, but I'm not sure how; there
is also an 'always use reply-to' option. I can arrange filters on sender
because the Pine in question is running on the uni mailservers, which are
all nicely configured with a menu system to organise filters, blocking,
vacation messages and so on. Whilst i'd be interested to know what that
fist config option does, the rest of it looks very much like it's up to
me...

> Certainly the list admin can't do anything about it once the end user has
> hit their preferred 'reply' button. And given that some people WANT to get
> the duplicate mail, and some don't, it's impossible for them to please
> everyone. :/

*sigh* No progress there then...

Vicky

--