[techtalk] fixing things, was: missing posts

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Tue Jan 4 16:38:24 EST 2000

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:12:45 +0100 (CET), Nils Philippsen <nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de> said:

>That's absolutely impossible with Windows. I once had a Windows NT
>installation (at a friend's computer) which had a driver halfway
>installed, i.e. some registry entries where already in place, but it
>didn't show up in the control center. I wasn't able to fix this
>because the driver didn't install "over it" due to the registry
>entries and I couldn't _tell_ the system to uninstall it because it
>didn't show up in the control center. This is unacceptable.

Yup.  It's very easy to get Windows "wedged" into a state where it is
virtually unrecoverable.  Although, technically, the problem you had
here could have been recovered by manually editing the registry.
Assuming, of course, you could figure out which of the roughly 100K
registry keys needed to be edited.  Good luck.

Kelly