[techtalk] fixing things, was: missing posts

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Tue Jan 4 15:12:45 EST 2000

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Theresa Radke wrote:

> Yea, but you really must have some idea which component is
> broken....inorder to fix it.

The real difference is that I can rip my Linux installation into pieces
(metaphorically) and find out what's going wrong (and fix it), even with
stuff I have no idea about (before the problem arises).

That's absolutely impossible with Windows. I once had a Windows NT
installation (at a friend's computer) which had a driver halfway
installed, i.e. some registry entries where already in place, but it
didn't show up in the control center. I wasn't able to fix this because
the driver didn't install "over it" due to the registry entries and I
couldn't _tell_ the system to uninstall it because it didn't show up in
the control center. This is unacceptable.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de