[techtalk] Squid vs Browser cache

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sun Feb 20 00:24:09 EST 2000

Subba Rao wrote:

> On  0, jenn at simegen.com wrote:
> > Subba Rao wrote:
> > >
> > > I have installed Squid on my system. How do I set the
> > > browser to not cache any file and use Squid's cache
> > > instead? This will also prove my Squid's caching cofiguration
> > > to me.
> >
> > It depends on the browser, but it's called 'proxy'.
> >
> > In Netscape:
> >       Edit menu
> >       Preferences
> >       (expand Advanced so it shows cache and proxies)
> >       Proxies
> >
> > Then put in the address and port of your Squid proxy server.
> >

> Thanks for replying. I set the Browser's (Netscape) to 0, but it looks
> like Squid is not cacheing. The ppp0 interface, shows inbound traffic
> each time I visit a site. This is not the first time I am going to that
> site. I go to the site back and forth to test, and ppp0 shows inbound
> traffic. What flags in Squid.conf, should I look for? How do I configure
> squid to update the DB every 15 minutes instead of every hour?

Squid sends a protocol request (hey, have you updated this page?) when it's
asked for a page. This is a single request, with a single response, but it
DOES generate traffic.

Also, some sites specifically tell proxies NOT to cache them (there is an
http header for that), and proxies can't cache dynamically generated pages
at all (.asps, anything that's a cgi script, form responses...)

My local SQUID expert says: If you're using Netscape, every time you select a
bookmark it forces a complete reload of the page.

If all of these are null, come back with the problem and I'll look up the
answer to the question you /did/ ask. :)

Jenn V.
--
  Humans are the only species to feed and house entirely separate species
     for no reason other than the pleasure of their company. Why?

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman        http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/