[techtalk] Differences between linux distributions

aprilk aprilk at linuxstart.com
Sun Feb 20 09:06:10 EST 2000

Tania M. Morell <tania at shadow.net> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've used Berkeley unix and SunOS for years at my university but not
>linux. I use Mandrake at work and RedHat intermittently at home but I've
>yet to understand the differences between them..  Maybe I haven't used
>them long enough to figure it out, or maybe I'm stupid.
>
>What are the main differences between distributions of linux like
>RedHat, Mandrake, Debian, Caldera...  etc.  Can anyone tell me?

Hi, differences can include the way it is laid out, where some things are put, their installs, their configuration tools, libraries they are based on, their style of init, and so on. I think that sums up most of it.
I had some experience with caldera 1.3?, RH 5.1 and SuSE 6.x, so I know some differences.

April

------
ICQ#: 6569484
AIM: Sisblundr