[techtalk] 1st time adding a modem to linux.

Jeff phaedrus at thereactor.cleptoscastle.com
Mon Feb 14 19:53:35 EST 2000

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 08:28:31PM -0500, Tania M. Morell wrote:
> Hi,

Hello.. this is my first post to the list, but I'll get my introduction done later ;)

> Thanks a lot for all the responses..   Getting all this help is really
> cool.  Here are some answers to your questions.

<<snip>>

> --cua refers to a callout device.
>
> What's a callout device?

/dev/cua* used to be used for modems which would be used to ``callout'' to other boxen, like your ISP.  This was back in the grand old days of Linux 2.0.xx, since then, with the latest stable releases, ttyS* handles *all* serial line stuff, so you would use it as the mouse/modem/etc device file.

> --(IMHO hardware modems will ALWAYS be much better)....USR
> --all the way!
>
> What's IMHO?         :)  Excuse my ignorance.  :(

In My Humble Opinion.  You might also see IMNSHO (in my not so humble opinion, I tend to use this one.. ;).

When you miss terms like that one, the jargon file might be helpful (online dictionary of all the funny terms many of us use, including those acronyms).

Here's the URL: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/index.html

> Thanks for all the URL's !!  I will look at them tonight and let you
> know what I find.

Go try minicom again, too.  When you get the main screen, hit 'Alt-z' and then 'e', this will turn the local echo on.  Clear the modem, and then play around a bit :), it really is a fun program.

> byw, I was kindof wondering whether or not "Ji" is a male or female
> name.  ;)

Couldn't tell ya.

--
Jeff