[techtalk] 1st time adding a modem to linux.

moebius at ip-solutions.net moebius at ip-solutions.net
Mon Feb 14 20:55:35 EST 2000

Hey Tania,

> I have a program called 'CheckIt' and it tells me that the modem's UART
> is 16540. That's the only reason I used that number. My modem's
> specifications don't refer to a UART at all.
If it's a pci modem I have some trouble believing that 'CheckIt' is
telling the truth. I don't know the program so I can't say for sure.

> There's a file "/proc/pci" which tells me it's on irq 5 now and that
> it's first i/o address is something like 0xe400000.  I've tried these
> with setserial to no avail.
Then the above IRQ,IO would be io=0xe400 irq=5

> --There is, of course, the possibility it's a 'winmodem' but I
> --don't know which modems are and aren't.
Who makes the modem? Also, check out linmodems.com(?)net Someone posted.

> --cua refers to a callout device.
>
> What's a callout device?
A callout device is in ye olde Unix days I device that would initiate a
call outbound as opposed to a call inbound (terminal). So each device had
it's counterpart. ie=> /dev/cua0 /dev/ttyS0(?) Anyway if you had a modem
listening on /dev/ttyS0 then the program would have to break the lock file
and initiate a new one on /dev/cua0. Not all programs looked for both
devices, you can imagine how confusing this would become. They finally
adopted a standard for it.

> --(IMHO hardware modems will ALWAYS be much better)....USR
> --all the way!
>
> What's IMHO?         :)  Excuse my ignorance.  :(
In My Humble Opinion

HTH,
Harry
PS=> think I got the second device wrong, it's been a while since I used
the old /dev/ entries so it might actually be something like pty0