[techtalk] Partition table editting

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Sun Apr 30 13:26:14 EST 2000

I don't think you'll have much success with fdisk if Partition Magic won't
touch the partition table. I have Partition Magic but I rarely use it due to
its inability to actually do anything really useful (like setting up
non-DOS/Windows partitions or recovering damaged partition tables).
Unfortunately, fdisk is even less capable of handling non-DOS partitions. My
tool of choice is Norton's Disk Editor. While it's less than a perfect
solution (it doesn't know the type bytes for Linux partitions, for example),
it does let you fiddle with the partition table at the byte level. In fact,
it's what I used to set up my Linux partitions.