[techtalk] RH 6.2 and SCSI Probs - Long

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Tue Apr 25 20:34:33 EST 2000

Hi Phil,

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Phil Savoie wrote:

> I reverted back to RH6.2 and used text mode.  This time, all went
> fine, except that it did not show me the scsi disk at the partition
> menu.

did you try expert mode (i.e. specify "expert text" on the boot prompt)?

> rebooted, and no scsi disk.  I did the kernel patch, and again still
> no scsi disk.  I did the manual kerneld modification
> (/etc/conf.modules) and added the information I needed there.
> Apparently, the kernel ignores this file.  I was able to get the scsi
> loaded, via a back door, but am not happy with the solution.  If I did
> a "insmod aha152x" the module would load and I would have access to
> the disk.

What are the relevant lines in /etc/conf.modules? AFAICT, they should be:

[...]
alias scsi_hostadapter aha152x
[...]

What does an "fdisk -l /dev/sda" bring with these lines (w/o manually or
semi-automatically inserting the module beforehands)?

> I setup the system to do this via the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script, but
> would prefer a better solution.  Is there something I have to do to
> get the kernel to recognize the scsi host adapter?  I am ready to
> recompile the kernel, but have found that this is a long drawn out
> affair and with little time left before the next road trip, do not
> want that as the option.  Thanks to any help that I get!

My impression is that you won't solve this problem by recompiling the
kernel -- except if you compile the scsi stuff not as a module but
statically, which is not a very elegant solution.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de