[techtalk] RH 6.2 and SCSI Probs - Long

Phil Savoie Phil.Savoie at learnix.ca
Sun Apr 23 15:10:35 EST 2000

Hi All,

I have a friend that has scsi woes with his adaptec 1522 card and am
hoping someone would be able to help him out.  His post to me (on
another list) is as follows:

I was wondering if anyone had any problems getting a SCSI host adapter
work with RH 6.2?  I have a firewall (gateway/masquerading) intel box,
and
I have run into an issue that I can not seem to figure out.  Under
previous
versions of RH, I had little or no problem in accessing the scsi hard
drive
on my system.  I have currently installed, a 1GB IDE, a 300MB IDE and a
1GB
SCSI drive.  The 1GB drive is the boot drive and the 300MB drive is the
home dirs.  The scsi drive is a data disk.  I was running RH 6.1 without
problem, and decided that since I was on home turf long enough, that I
would upgrade to 6.2.  I did the upgrade, and found that after the fact,
when I tried to patch the kernel, that I was getting package errors (csh
not installed, perl not installed, and so on).  So, I decided to blow
the
system away and try a fresh install.  The first attempt, using the gui
tool, froze at the make boot disk portion.  I tried a second time, using
Mandrake 7.0, and stopped the install when I was not able to clearly
select
packages I wanted to be installed.  At least it prompted me for the SCSI
stuff, and I was able to get it to find the adapter.  I reverted back to
RH6.2 and used text mode.  This time, all went fine, except that it did
not
show me the scsi disk at the partition menu.  I finished the install,
rebooted, and no scsi disk.  I did the kernel patch, and again still no
scsi disk.  I did the manual kerneld modification (/etc/conf.modules)
and
added the information I needed there.  Apparently, the kernel ignores
this
file.  I was able to get the scsi loaded, via a back door, but am not
happy
with the solution.  If I did a "insmod aha152x" the module would load
and I
would have access to the disk.  I setup the system to do this via the
/etc/rc.d/rc.local script, but would prefer a better solution.  Is there
something I have to do to get the kernel to recognize the scsi host
adapter?  I am ready to recompile the kernel, but have found that this
is a
long drawn out affair and with little time left before the next road
trip,
do not want that as the option.  Thanks to any help that I get!

Thanks to all in advance for your offerings,

Phil