[techtalk] Cursor decided to stay an X

Ingrid Schupbach ingrid at miranda.org
Sun Oct 31 12:30:53 EST 1999

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999 jenn at simegen.com wrote:

> Problem: my mouse pointer remains the X shape from startup, rather than
> becoming the arrowhead.
>
> System: Gnome and Enlightenment over Debian (potato)
>
> First occurance: latest reboot, this afternoon. (I went into That Operating
> System to play Theme Hospital. Rebooted into Linux, and didn't get my
> arrowhead mouse pointer)
>
> Request: Anyone know whether this is a problem in X, Gnome, Enlightenment
> or maybe even something else? Anyone know how to fix it, or where to start
> looking?

I had this problem, too.  My theory is that it's related to Enlightenment.
I used to get this problem until I changed two things: a) I upgraded to
the new version of Enlightenment and b) I changed my theme (I was using
something called Ice* (IceK?)).  When I had the problem, I could fix it by
switching out of the etheme I was running and then switching back - in the
process of this re-launching my cursor would become a pointer.  Now, with
the upgrade and the new theme, relaunching no longer means loosing my
pointer.

I hope this helps.

Ingrid