[techtalk] Cursor decided to stay an X

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Oct 31 17:19:28 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 31-Oct-99 [techtalk] Cursor decided t.. by
jenn at simegen.com
> Problem: my mouse pointer remains the X shape from startup, rather than
> becoming the arrowhead.
>
> System: Gnome and Enlightenment over Debian (potato)

If its Gnome and Enlightenment from potato, have you tried looking in
the BTS?  I seem to recall that at one point potato would install
Enlightenment with themes of the wrong version.  If so, updating might
fix it.  It may be a good idea anyway, since potato has been getting
lots of bugs fixed recently.

> First occurance: latest reboot, this afternoon. (I went into That Operating
> System to play Theme Hospital. Rebooted into Linux, and didn't get my
> arrowhead mouse pointer)

What was your pointer before?  Does it change into the other pointers
(like the resize-window pointer) if it did before?  Is this the only
thing wrong?  Is the rest of your wm/desktop the same as it was before?
Does:

xsetroot -cursor /usr/include/X11/bitmaps/right_ptr
/usr/include/X11/bitmaps/right_ptrmask

(above should be all one line, in case my mail client did something
silly to it) do anything?

> Request: Anyone know whether this is a problem in X, Gnome, Enlightenment
> or maybe even something else? Anyone know how to fix it, or where to start
> looking?

My first guess would be Enlightenment, since the cursors are controlled
by Enlightenment themes, and that it can't find the cursor graphics
either because the theme is messed up or something happened to the
cursor graphics, but this probably isn't it if you haven't changed the
theme since it worked.  What version of E and which theme are you using?
 I assume that if you upgraded from 15 to 16 you also upgraded the
themes, since a lot more would probably break if you did. Does starting
Gnome/E/X with another theme work?

I don't know how to fix it, so I'll just ask you lots of questions ;)

> Already tried: rebooting, hunting in Gnome and Enlightenment's configs,
> looking up the Linux Documentation Project pages, looking up man X.
>
> System changes since it last worked: none that I know of but I'm going
> to bug my husband and see if he's done any!

I'd look for something that you or he has done since the last time you
started X or E and it worked.