[techtalk] localhost, etc.

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 19 18:23:25 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 18-Oct-99 Re: [techtalk] localhost, etc. by
"Wendt,Andrew"@neo.rr.co
> Then what is /etc/nsswitch.conf for?

This is for something called nss, or NameService Switch.  It's a libc6 thing.
(I dont have it on my libc5 system, which uses /etc/host.conf like its
supposed to...)

NSS basically tells the system where to find different types of
information, such as name resolution, usernames and uids, etc.

On a libc6 system (or any other system with the libc6 docs.  don't know
why you'd have the docs without libc6 tho..), do 'info libc "Name
Service Switch"' for a more detailed explanation.