[techtalk] re: Modem Help

Chris Ritsert mysterio at ee.net
Mon Oct 18 17:17:09 EST 1999

I want to thank Norma Armstrong.  She helped me with a "lock" problem in my
/etc/ppp/options.

But not of course I have another problem.  I can finally connect to my ISP
but I cannot seem to do anything.  When I try to use Netscape I get an error
that says Nescape is unable to locate the server home.netscape.com - check
server name & try again.

Then Netscape suggest there may be a problem with the name server and says
if the site must use a non-root name server, you will need to set the
$SOCKS_NS environment variable to point at the appropriate name server.  It
may (or may not) be necessary to set this variable, or the SOCKS host
preference, to the IP address of the host in question rather than its
name. ---- I have no idea what this means.

This is what I have done so far to fix this problem, but these did not work:

1) unactivate auto configure hostname in setup
2) checked the contents in my /etc/host.conf file and it says:  order
hosts,bind

multi on

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris Ritsert