[techtalk] localhost, etc.

Samantha Jo Moore sjmoore at TheTahoeGroup.com
Mon Oct 18 17:39:18 EST 1999

> >order hosts, bind
> >means search /etc/hosts first to resolve host names, then search dns.
> >Name servers are configured in /etc/resolv.conf, if you don't have anything set up for a dns server, you can remove bind
> from host.conf.
>
> Then what is /etc/nsswitch.conf for?
>
> Jeff's strace seems to indicate that file is used for this purpose, not the
> /etc/host.conf...

Seems to be a similar configuratino file, except that this one configures the
search order for all the name services.  In my experience with DNS, modifying
the /etc/resolv.conf does affect the way host names are looked up.  I never
tinker with /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Anybody has different experiences?

Samantha Jo Moore
CTO - The Tahoe Group, Inc.