[techtalk] mail format (was re: ftp for non users)

Cathy James cjames at opensite.com
Mon Nov 29 09:24:03 EST 1999

>I find it painful to go from two easily to follow rules: "Be
>nice, and be polite...to a whole bunch of things, about 50% of
>which sounds silly called nettiquette. This is going too far
>in my opinion. Since this is a diverse group I try to keep things
>to text only. All I have to do is look at the time zones
>scattered everywhere and I can guess.

	Absolutely right on, Steve.  To me, netiquette is
mostly about being polite.  I don't believe I've ever flamed
anyone.

	Re: HTML mail: I think most people have the same
problem they I did.  They would happily turn it off if
someone would just TELL THEM HOW.  I hate HTML'ed email.
Unfortunately, these unspeakable Microsoft products think
they are smarter than their users, and they are *sure* that
at the other end of the email connection is the same
Microsoft application, which happily speaks the proprietary
protocol.

	Complaining about the problem isn't the solution;
education is.  And "education" is more than just telling
people *why* HTML'ed email is bad; it means teaching people
*how* to turn it off.  I think it would be useful for
someone to compile a FAQ on this topic.

>It is hard for me to live in a highly rule bound environment.
>I was SO GLAD TO GET OUT OF AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL AND ITS RULE
>BOOKS. So I go back and forth about bowing out totally and
>hanging around.It is just something I can not do. "Be kind, polite
>and caring is good, and sometimes we all pop off. (American
>Slang: Speak without thinking it all through clearly.) To be called
>CONSTANTLY on it is unkind and hurtful. It borders on meanness.

	I agree here, too.  It's one thing to ask everyone
to be polite, and quite another to quote a book of rules.
If LinuxChix ever becomes highly rule-based, I'm outta here.

	--Cathy James