[techtalk] Alternatives to Star Office/MS Office

Caitlyn Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Wed Nov 24 14:11:21 EST 1999

Hi, Ian,

> >If application cost is really the issue, KOffice looks like it will be
quite

> But will it run on Win32 and solaris?

I don't know if it does now, but like the rest of KDE, it will run on
Solaris at some point.  It will not run on Win32.  If your company were
interested in Linux on the desktop (a number of companies in this area have
migrated) then it is an option.  Otherwise, you are talking about running it
as an X application off a server using something like Exceed or
Reflection/X, which, IMHO, is not something most companies would want to do.

> >Opera is not free, nor is it open
>
> Nor is it available for linux (RSN!) One of these days... I rather
> liked opera under OS/2.

It is being ported to Linux, and the beta should be available in 4-6 weeks.
See:

http://www.opera.com/alt_os.html

for more information.

Regards,