[techtalk] really weird file transfer problem

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 19 22:30:09 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 19-Nov-99 [techtalk] really weird fil.. by
Lighthouse t. D. Sun at one
> Okay.  So I got ppp working, and IP masquerading and ipchains all set up.
> So, I wanted to get a file from a remote computer where I have stuff
> stored.  I ftp'ed (don't mention security, okay...) and got the file I
> wanted.  The first time, it stalled after 600k.  The second time, it

First, figure out if the problem is with the remote machine, the link
from you to the outside world, a problem with your lan, or a problem
with masq.

Let's call the client (the machine you're ftping from, running the ftp
client) A, and the server, (the remote machine you're ftping to, running
the ftp server) B.

Does ftp from A to a known working ftp server work? Try ftp.cdrom.com or
metalab.unc.edu.

Does ftping from a computer with known working ftp to B work?

Is A behind masq?  If so, does it work if you ftp from the gateway to B?

Can you ftp from A to another machine on your lan?