[techtalk] resolution

Amanda Owens amowens at radonc.duke.edu
Mon Nov 15 08:55:02 EST 1999

Actually, it should use the first resolution in the list, not necessarily
the smallest one. Unfortunately, Xconfigurator doesn't let you chose what
order they're written in the config file in. If you use xf86config, you
can choose the order in which they're listed - i.e. a larger one first,
but smaller resolutions later in the cntrl-alt-+/- cycle if you chose.

The *reason* that you only get a portion of the screen at lower
resolutions is because the screen is sized for the highest resolution in
the list. Therefore, you will always have the same amount of desktop
real-estate - but at smaller resolutions, the picture is 'zoomed in', so
you get a 'closer' look at a smaller part of the screen. Or at least
that's my very non-technical explanation. :)

HTH!
Mur!