[techtalk] resolution

coder coderman at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 13 13:37:17 EST 1999

That depends on your veiw of easy I suppose ;)  but I prefer editing my
XF86config files by hand.

Its usually under /etc or /etc/X11.

Heres a short rundown of the relevant sections:

Section "Monitor"         <- make sure you have a modeline setting for
the resoltuion you wish to use.  If you are unsure what this should be
set to you may want to use xf86config / SaX to try and guess / determine
the settings.
Ex:
  Modeline "1280x960" 106.50 1280 1296 1552 1664 960 960 970 1003

Section "Screen"           <- locate the section for your card and
create or modify the section for the resolution you wish to run at.  Set
your default color depth value to what you are using at that resolution.
Ex:

DefaultColorDepth     16
Section "Screen"
  Driver        "Accel"