[techtalk] more netscape woes...

Cathy James cjames at opensite.com
Fri Nov 12 16:59:45 EST 1999

>>         I'm glad you got it to work, but this confirms that Netscape
>> is broken.  This is *not* how CLASSPATH is supposed to work; it's
>> supposed to be a colon-separated list of *directories* in which
>> .jar and .class files can be found.  Netscape isn't playing by
>> the java rules.
>>         I just confirmed this on my Sun at work; CLASSPATH
>> only contains directory paths, not full paths including jar
>> file names.

>That's what I thought it should contain, considering
>somethingPATH would
>be the PATH to find something following convention. Netscape, it seems,
>doesn't like conventions and can't look for one stinking file. This is
>quite frustrating. If I choose to begin working on java
>myself, it'll be
>a big bummer for netscape. Not having in-browser java isn't a big deal,
>just a slight inconvenience. Given the other two non-linux-os-inclusive
>machines around here, it's not much of a problem unless the DH decides
>to take over both.

	Actually, I spoke too soon.  I did some more messing around
on Java at work, and discovered that it's actually *Java* that's
inconsistent.

	If you have *.class files (which is normally the case
during development), CLASSPATH contains the path to the directory
that holds them.  But when you wrap them up into a *.jar file,
CLASSPATH needs to contain the *full* path to the jar, including the
name of the jar file!  This makes no sense to me, but that's the
way it is. :-(

	--Cathy