[techtalk] StarOffice and Gnome installation issues

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Nov 12 17:34:01 EST 1999

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Cathy James wrote:

> 	Has anyone else had problems installing StarOffice?
> I'm wondering if it is due to a glibc2.0 vs glibc2.1
> conflict.  My machine has glic2.1 installed.

I recall SO 5.0 having this problem, but 5.1 wors well here (RHL 6.0&6.1).
Which version do you want to install? The old 5.1 (from Stardivision) or
the new one from Sun?

> 	I also attempted to install some of the libraries
> underlying Gnome so that I can ultimately install Gnome,
> but some of the rpm's refuse to install even with
> --force, insisting on glibc errors.  I'm not sure
> what to do when rpm insists that a package refuses
> to install because it requires glibc2.1, and I look
> in /lib and find......glibc2.1.  I presume this is
> a conflict between my Caldera install and rpm's
> that are probably (but not specifically noted as being)
> RedHat specific.

Could you supply us with the error messages?

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Vogelsangstrasse 115 / D-70197 Stuttgart / +49.711.6599405
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de